The German team, who will travel to Luxembourg this Friday before hosting Slovakia on November 14th, can clinch first place in Group A and automatic qualification for next year’s World Cup by winning their last two matches.
"We want to maintain a good balance within the squad," Nagelsmann said during Monday’s press conference. "We aim to have every position covered by at least two players. The key priority is... to succeed in these games, earn six points, and qualify for the World Cup.
"We are not relying on other results, only on our own team’s performance. It’s a strong starting position but we still need to make it count."
Nagelsmann surprised some by leaving out VfB Stuttgart midfielder Angelo Stiller, but emphasized that the door remains open for the 24-year-old, who has five international appearances, for next year’s tournament.
"I spoke with Angelo. His progress is moving in the right direction," Nagelsmann commented. "However, in the defensive midfield role with Felix Nmecha and Aleksandar Pavlovic, I currently see them slightly ahead. Angelo must keep improving. There will be a new squad selection in March. The door is not shut."
Germany lead their group with nine points, ahead of second-placed Slovakia on goal difference. Northern Ireland are third with six points, and Luxembourg sit last without any points. The group winner qualifies directly for the World Cup, while the runner-up enters a playoff in March 2026.
The Germans — four-time world champions — are eager for a strong tournament performance and aim to win the World Cup, which will be hosted jointly by the United States, Canada and Mexico, following their disappointing early exits in the previous two tournaments.
"We cannot afford another mistake," Nagelsmann said when reflecting on their unexpected 2-0 defeat to Slovakia in September. Since then, Germany has won their next three qualifiers.
"We have improved, as I mentioned, the initial conditions... but the job still needs to be finished."



Links
Contact
App

