Following Manchester United’s return to training on Wednesday, England midfielder Mason Mount joined the entire squad in training as Carrick prepared the team for the Everton game. The 27-year-old is anticipated to return in Monday’s match after missing three games due to an injury suffered during pre-match training before the 3-2 victory over Fulham.

This is already Mount’s seventh injury since signing for Manchester United, and his situation has greatly displeased owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe and the INEOS management. If there is no significant improvement, the club will consider offers for Mount this summer. However, whether any club is willing to purchase the former Chelsea "prince" remains a big question mark.
Former manager Ruben Amorim was a big supporter of Mount, but after his departure, the Red Devils’ number 7 lost his strongest advocate and must rely on his own abilities to change his fate. Under Carrick, Mount has been unlucky; he scored as a substitute in his debut against Manchester City but the goal was disallowed for offside. He missed the Arsenal game and then got injured, sidelining him and preventing him from showcasing his talent.
Some fans still appreciate Mount’s abilities; as a team player, he can contribute whether starting or coming off the bench. However, two major issues work against him: first, injuries. Since joining from Chelsea for £60 million in 2023, his fitness has been a serious concern, having played only 66 matches so far. In comparison, captain Bruno Fernandes played 57 games last season alone.
Mount’s wages are another issue that the Red Devils find hard to accept. He earns £250,000 per week, ranking just below Casemiro (£350,000), Rashford (£325,000), and Bruno Fernandes (£300,000), and equal to Sancho. Even Casemiro’s performance does not justify his £350,000 weekly pay in the eyes of the club, let alone Mount’s.

From a pure football perspective, if Manchester United return to the Champions League next season, keeping Mount as a rotation player would be acceptable. But a rotation player earning £250,000 per week is not something the club wants to sustain. It also causes jealousy among teammates. If a substitute who contributes little to the team earns £250,000 weekly, it’s understandable that other players would demand higher wages.
Former United chief scout Mike Brown has again confirmed that the club is open to offers for Mount and that the asking price will not be high. Mount is no longer part of United’s future plans. According to "Football Insider," Carrick has also provided an assessment supporting the sale of Mount.
“If an offer comes in, Manchester United will consider selling Mount,” Brown explained. “I don’t think this is a slight on him — everyone I met at United spoke highly of him. However, his injury record is very poor. It has been that way since he arrived, and he has never overcome it. He plays a few games, then is sidelined with injury again. Given his injury history, I’m not sure he fits into the club’s long-term plans. Even when he gets chances, his performances don’t light up the world.”
Brown also analyzed why Carrick recommends selling Mount. “Due to injuries, Mount has barely had the chance to train under Carrick,” he said. “It’s really unfortunate. As I said, his performances at United have been praised, but the club has to prepare to sell him to help bring in other players.”

Mount’s contract with Manchester United runs until 2028, with an option for a one-year extension. If the club returns to the Champions League, they will need to pay him £12.5 million in wages each season.